Saturday, June 28, 2008

down conn way

Thursday, I went to visit my dear friend Carmelle while she is plugging away at her residency at the Joseph and Anni Albers foundation in glorious hyper new england setting CT. The studio space was wonderful, totally incredibly huge and well lit, and the kitchen was great, the bed comfortable, AND she's been making really great work big and small which was so nice to see.
There was a manmade pond on which we went canoeing (not just in circles) because it was a little too late and a bit too chilly to swim (story of my life this summer so far- wtf?). I saw the beaver that has been terrorizing the grounds keeper do what beavers do by lifting it's tail up at a 45 degree angle and then slapping it down on the water really hard, making it sound as if a bowling ball had plunked in. He did this a couple of times, and the last time around I was definitely startled enough to give a yelp. The pond was totally beautiful! Inky water, hyper reflective of all the various greenery around it. Apparently in the woods surrounding the foundation and the studios live deer, wild turkey, bunnies, owls, racoons, chipmunks, and squirrels. At night it gets very dark and there are strange noises. it's so completely isolated in the woods I kept thinking about that Alice Munro story from the New Yorker and got really scared, jumpy even. For dinner (eaten out on the screened in porch) Carmelle and I made a really incredible recipe involving cod, pommegranite sauce and eggplant medalions. SUPER DELISH. A Georgian recipe apparently. It was a really great visit.

I ofcourse didn't take pictures, but if you want to see some of her work, Carmelle just recently had a show at (i think ) your friend Beryls' gallery, Arielle! check out pix here.

Her work ofcourse sent me into color theory heaven which was so great in relation to the Albers stuff. srsly so rad. It was great to see what other residency opportunities exist in the world, and how the experience can be so different and also so similar.

Yesterday it took me 7 hours to drive from CT to DC during which it poured down to the point of zero visiblity twice, and Aqua J almost ran out of gas. I got an asscramp in New Jersey, was devistated by the lack of seltzer water at a rest stop in Delaware, and thought i might lose it in heavy traffic near Baltimore. It was arduous, it was epic, like covering 1/2 of the east coast in one span by oneself would be. I listened to music for some but just really got into the sounds of the road and what the different textures and accelerations sound like.

I am in DC for a bit. Processmom and DOOdad are going to Turkiye for vacation starting Monday, and i want to try and hang around in there house and try and work on stuff. Again the age old intent, treat this time like a separate residency. Though I am not so sure. Will just let the wind decide when it's time to go I guess.

Fourth of July plans kids? I am debating hiking my butt back up to NYC for SONIC YOUTH's free show and fire works, or bringing the PVD crew sparklers and bottle rockets. Or i might just sit here and needle point with fireworks on the tv. not sure, either or it will be fine and fun.

did you see Mongol yet? I was reminded the other day by someone, and then this morning by the back of a Cheerios box that THE DARK KNIGHT is coming out soon.

oh shit.

No comments: